It is Wednesday….Time for some fitness inspiration. In 1954, Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute barrier for the mile. He ran it in 3:59.4 Since then, nearly 1500 runners throughout the world have gone under four minutes.
Well, we are on the brink of history again. I believe that we will soon see a marathon runner go under 2 hours. The current record in competition is 2:02:57. The fastest run outside of competition is 2:00:25 (It was an event put on by Nike to break the 2 hour barrier).
Ever wonder just how fast a 2 hour marathon is?
- The treadmills at Irons Fitness, Woodway treadmills (which are the best in the business), do not go fast enough to train for an event like this.
- You would have to hold a pace of 4:34 per mile.
- You would have to run a 100 meter sprint in 17 seconds….422 times
- You would have to have an average cadence of 185 strides per minute
- You would have to cover more than 6 feet per stride
- You would probably have to be 5’6″ and 120 pounds (The height and weight of the current record holder)
This is how fast a 2 hour marathon is….